I was invited to Il Capo Restaurant for their “CENA CLUB – SATURDAY SUPPER”.
I was so looking forward to this as it was our Diwali weekend too.
We arrived at the Westin – Al Habtoor City which is just behind the grand St. Regis. We were chaperoned to the restaurant and the interiors of Il Capo were very aesthetically pleasing and cozy and what struck me most were the large glass windows overlooking the newly opened Dubai Canal and the subtle mosaic tiled flooring that took me back to Italy.
Il Capo serves a fixed menu and you have the choice to take the wine pairings. The restaurant’s food is inspired by the American-Italian food which was created by the Italians that moved to America and made Italian meals with American ingredients. Il Capo also has an ala carte menu which is very interesting.
For appetizers, they served us
1. Squid Salad with chili garlic and beans
2. Seared Beef Carpaccio Bruschetta, Pecorino and Truffle oil
3. Buffalo Mozzarella, sliced tomato and basil
4. Fennel Salad with orange segments and agretto sauce.
All the dishes were good but the fennel salad stood out.
The next course was pasta.
1. Caserecce with shrimp and basil pesto
2. White risotto with chicken, lemon and thyme
3. Oven baked lasagne with butternut sauce, spinach and ricotta cheese
I was completely impressed with every dish in this course. The pasta was excellent and the risotto was flavorful and just right.
By now my stomach was already but the main courses were yet to come.
1. Salmon streak with warm sicilian caponatina.
2. Small beef involtino with smoked scamorza artichokes and mint
3. Chicken milanese with rainbow tomato salad.
These were served with a side of
1. Oven roasted potato
2. Zucchini a scapece
We also ordered the Bourbon Glazed Lamb Chops from the ala carte menu.
Now it was time for Dessert
We were served Tiramisu, Chocolate Tart Capri style, both of which were excellent and since they didnt have the fruit salad with lemon sorbet ( wish i could have tried that)it was replaced with another green fruit glazed dessert which I didnt like at all
My personal favourites were the fennel salad, beef carpaccio, all the pasta, chicken milanese and lamb chops and of course tiramisu and the chocolate tart, complemented by the coffee.
The staff were very friendly, attentive and helpful and made our dining experience excellent.